Wednesday 2 April 2014

Inspired by Spring Recipes

In recent days the sun has been shining and my mind has been distracted on summer; hazy long days, BBQ's on the beach and afternoon picnics that venture into long evenings chatting around a home thrown fire. Some how that same feeling is reaching my belly and it is craving delicious salads, new potatoes slathered in butter and fresh, colourful produce.

So I thought I'd use this new sense of energy to hunt down some new delicious recipes. I like most foods I can cook quickly preferable eaten from a bowl! So you will see a pattern here. I am also going to cut down on the amount of meat I eat and will try and buy local and eat as fresh as possible. Here are my favourites so far! Click on Images for Recipes



1. From the amazing  A Beautiful Mess Blog - Emma's Quinoa Burrito in a Bowl recipe

Quinoa burrito bowls
 
Image - A Beautiful Mess
 

 2. This is one of my favourite quick and easy spring Squid salad, Oh and Sophie Dahl's cook book is stunning! If however verging on Utopian! I wish I had more time on my hands to sit and watch Squirrels! (Skip to 1min in if you can't bare to watch Sophie looking whimsical on a park bench)
 

 
 
3. I love writing this blog, as I am always falling upon other great bloggers who are endless sources of inspiration. Like this one - 101cookbooks This Roasted Squash Chile Salad from the Kinfolk Table book looks the bees knees!
 
Roasted Squash Salad
 
Image property of 101cookbooks
 
 
4. I can't wait to try out Kinfolks Hobo Meals - All I need is a warm evening, a few logs, some jumper cladded friends and a roaring camp  fire.  

 

http://www.kinfolk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Kinfolk_Hobo-Meals_Web-8-750x500.jpg 
 
 Images & Recipes co Kinfolk
 
Recipe: Herbed Butter
Ingredients 1 stick of butter, room temperature
1 bunch of chives, finely chopped
1 bunch of garlic scapes, finely chopped
1 lime
Salt, to taste
Method Place butter in a bowl and add chopped herbs and the juice of 1 lime. Mash with a fork until the herbs are incorporated. Season to taste and serve on top of sweet potatoes.
Serves 4



Recipe: Fireside Quinoa
Ingredients 1 cup quinoa
1 3/4 cup vegetable stock
1 cup toasted pepitas, chopped
Salt, to taste
*2 large pieces of tin foil
Method Rinse quinoa thoroughly. Make a pouch out of the tin foil and place rinsed quinoa within. Pour vegetable stock over the quinoa and securely seal the edges of the tin foil. Leave space within the pouch for the quinoa to expand and double in size. Wait for the fire to die down and place on coals. Check after 15 to 20 minutes, making sure the quinoa is cooked through. Fold in pepitas and season to taste. Serve on top of sweet potatoes.
Serves 4
 
 
My belly is now rumbling like mad,
Happy Spring Cooking!
 
Gem x
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment