Saturday 10 November 2012

...walking on Hengistbury Head

Ever since I was little I have been coming to this special place. We moved back to Bournemouth last July after many fun and exciting years living in London, and have been doing some of the things I used to do as a kid.

One of our favourite places to go walking is Hengistbury Head, and you can see from the pictures why we love it so much. Hengistbury Head is a local Nature Reserve, a paradise for wildlife and bird lovers. It's an Ancient Monument too, as people have been coming and settling here for about 12500 years.

I remember my dad, a geography teacher by trade, telling us about the ancient settlers who came here and quarried for flints to use as tools. We used to scour the beach and shore for arrow-heads. It was like hunting for treasure (don't worry-we always put them back).
When we come here for a stroll we always park up and walk down this path...

Then we walk through this area of woodland...

To come out to this view...


Then we walk along past the higgledy piggledy beach huts of Mudeford Beach.




We sit on the beach and drink our flask of coffee. Then my boys go and throw stones in the sea while I sit and lose myself in the view. After a while we pack up and head home, talking all the way of how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful corner of the world.


Maria x

No comments:

Post a Comment