Sunday 11 November 2012

... darting around Dittisham


It seems like a long time ago now, but a week ago I was travelling back from a lovely week in Dittisham with my mum and dad and twin sister. It was a lovely week, our little cottage was a stone throw away from the quay, where a little ferry could take us to Greenway; Agatha Christie's home or Dartmouth. It brought back childhood memories of happy days crabbing and turning over shells and pebbles.


It was really nice to spend some quite time with my sister (who lives in London) and my mum and dad. Life can be so hectic and demanding, so just being away from it all enabled me just to live in the moment,;take in the views and read a good book. We did get caught out in the rain a couple of times, but I loved the fact that this sleepy seaside village made us slow down from the rat race.


Greenway is well worth a visit, The house is spectacular full of treasures and memories. Agatha Christie's husband was a keen Archeologist, so the house is full of holiday finds and memories of far of shores. It was a lovely day, you can see that me and my sister went back to our childhood routes!




I would definitely recommend the Anchor Stone Cafe for the most delicious food, and delightful views of the river dart. The owners were very friendly and welcoming and looked after their little crab catchers and furry friends! My sister had already gone home by then, and I felt a little guilty tucking into the most scrummy calamari. I will have to go back with her sometime soon!


We also had road trips through wobbly high hedged roads to Totnes; We particularly liked the Steam Packet Inn and The Royal Seven Stars Hotel. And Dartmouth where I bought a gorgeous yellow canvas smock for my pottery; from the lovely owners of Dartmouth Canvas Factory. Totnes was a hilly climb of art shops and independent coffee shops, it was so tempting we spent two days there exploring the local delights! I am already dreaming of my next holiday there! My only regret is not going crabbing, so next year I will be packing my net and worms!

Gem x

No comments:

Post a Comment